Subject: 23.2.90; emacsclient

From: Francis Wright <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 22:17:03 +0000

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,

not to your local site managers!

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers

usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list

and the gnu.emacs.bug news group, and at http://debbugs.gnu.org.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug

and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give

a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

With emacs *not* running, open a normal command shell window.

I used cmd.exe on Windows 7 for this test. Check that the right version

of emacsclient is being run, then run it with emacs still *not* running:

C:\Users\fjw>emacsclient -v

emacsclient 23.2.90

C:\Users\fjw>emacsclient -a runemacs foo

emacsclient: connect: No connection could be made because the target

machine actively refused it.

The problem is the error/warning message that this produces. I don't

think it happened in emacs 23.2. It's more of a problem when using

emacsclientw, because that puts up a dialogue box containing the

message. Once I acknowledge that, emacs opens. Surely, when an

alternative editor is specified, there is no need for the warning,

especially with emacsclientw.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,

please include the output from the following gdb commands:

    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.

For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file

c:/Emacs/emacs-23.2.90/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.90.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)

of 2010-11-11 on 3249CTO

Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600

configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/imagesupport/include'

Important settings:

  value of $LC_ALL: nil

  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil

  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil

  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil

  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil

  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil

  value of $LC_TIME: nil

  value of $LANG: ENG

  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil

  locale-coding-system: cp1252

  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:

  show-paren-mode: t

  recentf-mode: t

  delete-selection-mode: t

  tooltip-mode: t

  mouse-wheel-mode: t

  tool-bar-mode: t

  menu-bar-mode: t

  file-name-shadow-mode: t

  global-font-lock-mode: t

  font-lock-mode: t

  blink-cursor-mode: t

  auto-encryption-mode: t

  auto-compression-mode: t

  column-number-mode: t

  line-number-mode: t

  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:

<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 

<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 

<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 

<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:

Loading delsel...done

Loading recentf...done

Loading paren...done

Loading c:/Users/fjw/AppData/Roaming/.recentf...done

Cleaning up the recentf list...

File c:/Users/fjw/foo removed from the recentf list

Cleaning up the recentf list...done (1 removed)

For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

(New file)

Load-path shadows:

c:/Users/fjw/Emacs/site-lisp/whitespace hides
c:/Emacs/emacs-23.2.90/lisp/whitespace

c:/Users/fjw/Emacs/site-lisp/ls-lisp hides
c:/Emacs/emacs-23.2.90/lisp/ls-lisp

Features:

(shadow sort mail-extr message ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec

password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231

rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc

time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util

hashcash mail-utils emacsbug saveplace paren recentf tree-widget

wid-edit easymenu delsel cus-start cus-load server tooltip ediff-hook

vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win

w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page

menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock

font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang

misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew

greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese

case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button

minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64

format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable

backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)