Subject: Re: bug#74159: Unexpected exit code of 0 when -q is set and close_stdout fails

From: Jan Černohorský <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2024 23:22:10 +0100

Thank you for your very swift reply and fix.

>>when the `-q` option is detected (grep.c:2697), the `exit_failure` 
>>variable is set to 0. This causes any error, when not specially 
>>handled, to exit with 0, even before any match is found.
>
>Yes, that's a mistake. I can't reproduce your bug but I can see other 
>consequences of the mistake. Fixed in the attached patch (with a test 
>case that's unlike your problem); please give it a try.

The provided patch fixes the issue 👍

>That being said, the lower levels of your OS appear to be buggy, as 
>'close' should not fail with EACCES. I wouldn't be surprised if other 
>software breaks because of this issue. So I suggest also reporting a 
>bug to whoever maintains the NFS client code that you're using.

I'm aware. I'll try to look into it, but it seems like a much deeper 
rabbit hole.

Thanks again,
Jan