Subject: 30.0.92; `emacsclient-program-name' doesn't factor Emacs name changes

From: Jerome <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2024 16:51:32 +0900

Emacs 30 adds the `emacsclient-program-name', but its default value
doesn't factor the build time Emacs name configuration changes (with
prefix, suffix and sed transormation). I only verified this with the
suffix confguration, but assume prefix and sed transformation are the
same.

In my case I configured with `--program-suffix=-30pre'. The Emacs client
program is, as expected, `emacsclient-30pre', but the value of
`emacsclient-program-name' is still `'emacsclient'. The variable value
should reflect the configure time name change(s).

This would make `with-editor' simpler (from Emacs 30 onward) as no
heuristics would be needed to derive the Emacs client name. See:
https://github.com/magit/with-editor/issues/132

Thanks

-------------------

In GNU Emacs 30.0.92 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
3.24.43, cairo version 1.18.2) of 2024-10-27 built on red
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12101014
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux trixie/sid

Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr/local/stow/emacs-30.0.92
--program-suffix=-30pre --with-tree-sitter --with-file-notification=yes
'CFLAGS=-O2 -march=native''

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
eldoc-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
tool-bar-mode: t
menu-bar-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
blink-cursor-mode: t
minibuffer-regexp-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
indent-tabs-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date subr-x mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
cl-print byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile thingatpt help-fns radix-tree
help-mode cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd touch-screen tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo gtk
x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty move-toolbar make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 68133 11926) (symbols 48 6289 0) (strings 32 19033 2140)
(string-bytes 1 514914) (vectors 16 10889)
(vector-slots 8 148624 8376) (floats 8 27 8) (intervals 56 280 0)
(buffers 992 12))