Subject: bug#74146: closed (Re: bug#74146: ESHELL prompt shows incorrect working directory on a TRAMP remote host)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2024 00:41:02 +0000

Your bug report

#74146: ESHELL prompt shows incorrect working directory on a TRAMP remote host

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74146: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74146
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#74146: ESHELL prompt shows incorrect working directory on a TRAMP remote host
From: Jim Porter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2024 17:39:48 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 10/31/2024 1:11 PM, dnym--- via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss 
army knife of text editors wrote:
> 
> DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM:
> 
> Running emacs -Q for emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32):
> 
> ~/.ssh $ cd /sshx:oracle-root:/
> /sshx:oracle-root:~/ $ pwd
> /sshx:oracle-root:/home/opc/
> /sshx:oracle-root:~/ $ /bin/pwd
> /
> 
> There should be no tilde before / on the second line and the `pwd`
> command (which is eshell's own `pwd` written in elisp) on the second
> line should not report .../home/opc/ but rather /sshx:oracle-root: like
> below.

Thanks for the report. This is an MS-Windows only issue, fixed in 
33997047e891d5513c4f33ab78ad353746ed16e2 on Emacs master (so version 31).

In the meantime though, you can customize 'eshell-pwd-convert-function' 
to avoid this mis-conversion; the 'identity' option should work. (I'm 
not actually sure why this has a different default value on MS-Windows 
vs other paltforms, but it's been that way for a long time so I'll just 
about opening that can of worms for now...)

Subject: ESHELL prompt shows incorrect working directory on a TRAMP remote host
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2024 16:11:24 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM:

Running emacs -Q for emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32):

~/.ssh $ cd /sshx:oracle-root:/
/sshx:oracle-root:~/ $ pwd
/sshx:oracle-root:/home/opc/
/sshx:oracle-root:~/ $ /bin/pwd
/

There should be no tilde before / on the second line and the `pwd`
command (which is eshell's own `pwd` written in elisp) on the second
line should not report .../home/opc/ but rather /sshx:oracle-root: like
below.

Running emacs -Q for emacs 27.2 (build 1, ....redhat):

~/.ssh $ cd /ssh:oracle-root:/
/ssh:oracle-root: $ pwd
/ssh:oracle-root:
/ssh:oracle-root: $ /bin/pwd
/

____________________________________

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-06-23 built on
 fv-az1388-367
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22631
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.22631.4391)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/mingw64 --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-modules --without-dbus
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter
 --with-native-compilation=aot 'CFLAGS=-march=nocona -msahf
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wno-error=implicit-function-declaration'
 CPPFLAGS=-D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO=1 'LDFLAGS= -lpthread''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads w32notify w32 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79952 8898)
 (symbols 48 7176 0)
 (strings 32 21044 1276)
 (string-bytes 1 610559)
 (vectors 16 16451)
 (vector-slots 8 335828 16888)
 (floats 8 40 48)
 (intervals 56 251 0)
 (buffers 984 10))