Subject: ESHELL prompt shows incorrect working directory on a TRAMP remote host

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2024 16:11:24 -0400

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM:

Running emacs -Q for emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32):

~/.ssh $ cd /sshx:oracle-root:/
/sshx:oracle-root:~/ $ pwd
/sshx:oracle-root:/home/opc/
/sshx:oracle-root:~/ $ /bin/pwd
/

There should be no tilde before / on the second line and the `pwd`
command (which is eshell's own `pwd` written in elisp) on the second
line should not report .../home/opc/ but rather /sshx:oracle-root: like
below.

Running emacs -Q for emacs 27.2 (build 1, ....redhat):

~/.ssh $ cd /ssh:oracle-root:/
/ssh:oracle-root: $ pwd
/ssh:oracle-root:
/ssh:oracle-root: $ /bin/pwd
/

____________________________________

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 2, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2024-06-23 built on
 fv-az1388-367
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.22631
System Description: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (v10.0.2009.22631.4391)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/mingw64 --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --build=x86_64-w64-mingw32 --with-modules --without-dbus
 --without-compress-install --with-tree-sitter
 --with-native-compilation=aot 'CFLAGS=-march=nocona -msahf
 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -Wno-error=implicit-function-declaration'
 CPPFLAGS=-D__USE_MINGW_ANSI_STDIO=1 'LDFLAGS= -lpthread''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY
W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util text-property-search mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date cl-loaddefs
comp comp-cstr warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra
help-mode bytecomp byte-compile cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv
eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win
w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic indonesian philippine
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure
cl-preloaded button loaddefs theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp
files window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget keymap hashtable-print-readable backquote
threads w32notify w32 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 79952 8898)
 (symbols 48 7176 0)
 (strings 32 21044 1276)
 (string-bytes 1 610559)
 (vectors 16 16451)
 (vector-slots 8 335828 16888)
 (floats 8 40 48)
 (intervals 56 251 0)
 (buffers 984 10))