Subject: bug#74145: 31.0.50; Default lexical-binding to t

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 20:47:13 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 13:59:13 -0500
>>
>> This change is unlikely to be very disruptive at this point.  For
>> starters, users can easily just add this to any ELisp file that lacks it
>> and move on with their lives:
>>
>>     -*- lexical-binding:nil -*-
>
> I thought we planned on displaying a warning for that?

We have discussed different warnings, so I'm not sure which exact
proposals are currently on the table.  But I think we currently warn
only if the lexical-binding cookie is missing.

As Stefan Monnier has pointed out, one could also use this to change the
global value:

    (set-default-toplevel-value 'lexical-binding nil)