Subject: Re: bug#74145: 31.0.50; Default lexical-binding to t

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 22:29:33 +0200

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 13:59:13 -0500
> 
> This change is unlikely to be very disruptive at this point.  For
> starters, users can easily just add this to any ELisp file that lacks it
> and move on with their lives:
> 
>     -*- lexical-binding:nil -*-

I thought we planned on displaying a warning for that?

> What's more, and this is from my personal experience of converting
> hundreds of .el files (see git log), most files will usually run just
> fine under lexbind, without any changes.  I expect that user init files
> will typically fall into this category.

I actually expect the contrary, because user init files are in many
cases not regularly maintained and cleaned up like our Lisp sources
are.  I won't be surprised if there are portions of our init files
which we haven't looked at for decades, because they "just work".