Subject: Re: bug#74145: 31.0.50; Default lexical-binding to t

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 22:05:55 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],
>   [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2025 13:00:59 -0500
> 
> > Yes, but the problem is not that there's no such place, the problem is
> > with what it says.  Basically, it says "use it and fix any problems
> > you find".
> 
> But at least it gives you the steps to take and presumably you (the
> author of the code who presumably knows what's going on in that code)
> should know how to fix the problems.
> 
> Are you worried about those cases where the users don't actually know
> what the code should do (although they may have written it themselves)?

They definitely might not understand the differences between the two
flavors well enough to know what to expect.  For example, warnings
from the byte compiler about "unused lexical variable" might be
extremely puzzling if those differences are not well understood,
because to someone who is used to dynamic binding, the code looks 100%
legit.