Subject: Re: bug#74145: 31.0.50; Default lexical-binding to t

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2025 18:50:54 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

Someone else wrote:

  > > I believe the time has come to change the default dialect.
  > > I attached a suggested patch to do that.

Certainly not!  That would be too abrupt.

By contrast, your proposed change

  > OK, before we change the default, I propose the patch below, which
  > should not change the behavior at all, but allows users to

  >     (set-default-toplevel-value 'lexical-binding t)

is a step along a reasonable path.  It won't impose anything on anyone
immediately, but it will encourage users to try this out and report
problems.

One always looks forward to reaching the end of a series of changes
planned to reach an intended destination.  But if we want to do a good
job for the users, we must not rush them.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)