Subject: Re: bug#74145: 31.0.50; Default lexical-binding to t

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2024 23:10:08 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > >  for the old dynamic-only dialect.  When no declaration is present the
  > > -old dialect is used, but this may change in a future release.
  > > -The compiler will warn if no declaration is present.
  > > +new dialect is used.  Support for the old dialect may be removed in
  > > +a future release.

We should delete that last sentence.

It would be a mistake to delete support for lexical-binding: nil, even
20 years from now.

To convert a program from dynamic binding to lexical binding is not a
trivial transformatoin -- it requires actually understanding the code.
It would be bad judgment to require people to do that work for their
old programs merely to simplify one small piece of the language.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)