Subject: Re: bug#74145: 31.0.50; Default lexical-binding to t

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2025 09:55:05 +0200

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2025 00:27:20 -0700
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Please forgive me, but this again changes the subject.  The original
> > issue was with adding a warning (and maybe other measures designed to
> > alert users to the change and prepare them for dealing with it), not
> > with when to change the default on the master branch.  From where I
> > stand, we can make the change once these measures are implemented, but
> > not before.
> 
> OK, then let's focus on that.
> 
> The idea is to warn is when a file is loaded without a lexical-binding
> cookie.  We don't have a patch yet, but it should be straightforward,
> and we agree.  Let's just do it.

SGTM.

> Are there any other important measures that remain?

I think there was a suggestion to make the mode-line indication more
prominent or something.  Also, perhaps some prominent announcement in
NEWS could be in order.