Subject: Re: bug#74145: 31.0.50; Default lexical-binding to t

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2025 18:28:36 -0400

>   > No changes are installed.  None of the objections I've seen in this
>   > bug-report were new and they've all been answered before, so I did not
>   > reply because I have nothing new to say about it.
>
>   > E.g. "why don't we start by warning when we load files
>   > without the lexical-binding cookie?":
>
>   >     https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2024-05/msg00250.html
>
>   > I don't have any new answers to those questions.
>
> Are you ok with our implementing that warning now?

Of course.  For me, the purpose of this bug#74145 is not to see *if* we
can change the default but *how*, or rather under which conditions.

The point of introducing the change early on during the Emacs-31
development is to have ample time to implement (and tune) whichever
mitigating measure we find to be necessary.

And I doubt we'll figure what is necessary before we actually make the
change on `master`.

        Stefan