Subject: Re: bug#74145: 31.0.50; Default lexical-binding to t

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2025 07:02:50 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > > One always looks forward to reaching the end of a series of changes
  > > planned to reach an intended destination.  But if we want to do a good
  > > job for the users, we must not rush them.

  > It's been many years now. Everyone has had enough time to adapt to 
  > lexical-binding.

A smooth and painless transition calls for giving users time, but we
need to give them something else too.  It also calls for intermediate
steps that will remind users to update, to remind them to update old code
_before_ it breaks.

For instance, we could set up a warning (which the user can
deactiviate if perse wishes) for files that don't explicitly specify a
value for lexical-binding.  That warning will help fix their files to
be proof against future change in how that works.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)