Subject: Re: bug#74140: [PATCH] Add :continue-only directive for repeat maps in bind-keys, use-package

From: Paul Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2024 19:44:56 +0100

>> I still don't follow.  Couldn't we somehow keep track of the active
>> repeat-map (or really, its underlying symbol) and check whether that
>> lies in the provided list?  Why should it be necessary to keep track
>> of the key that activated it?  In any event, we don't know in advance
>> whether the specific key is the same or different across the keymaps
>> that we do or do not want the command to participate in, so I don't
>> see how knowing the key could be a useful differentiating factor.
>
> Keys will help to avoid aliases.  In your example:
>
>  :continue-only
>  ;; These commands will be available during paragraph manipulation
>  ;; but won't activate paragraph-repeat-map themselves
>  ("y" . yank)
>  ("C-/" . undo))
>
> to be able to not activate repeat-map on executing the command 'yank'
> with the global keybinding such as 'C-y', we can check
> that last-command-event is 'y'.
>

My point was that the "C-/" here is the same in the repeat map and the
global map, so we can't use it to distinguish the two.