Subject: Re: [bug#74137] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-vi-tilde-fringe.

From: Ian Eure <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2025 11:44:31 -0700

Hi Nicolas, Rostislav,

This is a difficult situation because of upstream, but I mostly 
agree with Nicolas.  I think the most reasonable path forward is 
to package commit e6e15638e8c45a5e68d0874d5d8c9a46c4f38a54 and 
label it version 1.0.  Since the final commit doesn’t change the 
package functionality, I don’t think it makes sense to package it 
and have a snapshot version.  The situation would be different if 
upstream was better about releases, or the change had a functional 
impact.

An alternate option would be to package the latest commit, but 
match the MELPA snapshot version[1] instead of "1.0".  While I 
dislike that this version doesn’t appear anywhere in the source or 
repo, it’s likely to be the one non-Guix users (or those using 
Guix, but using package.el / straight.el / whatever to manage 
their Emacs packages) will recognize.

Thanks,
  -- Ian

[1]: https://melpa.org/#/vi-tilde-fringe