Subject: [bug#74137] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-vi-tilde-fringe.

From: Rostislav Svoboda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2024 21:23:30 +0100

Hello Nicolas,

> We use revision and commits to distinguish versions from plain ones, to
> say : "be careful, we didn't package the exact 1.0 release".

This is information no one can reliably depend on, as there's no
mechanism to guarantee what you're suggesting.

> I'm advocating for removing that information from the version field only.
> We're already doing this for projects that do not tag releases. See, e.g.,
> `emacs-inspector'.

If you want to be *sure* that emacs-inspector includes no
(modify-phases ...), you'll need to check its definition anyway.
There's no point in hiding the commit hash.

On the contrary, the commit hash is quite useful. It immediately and
reliably indicates which commit was used to build a package.

This information is particularly helpful when performing a git bisect,
manually inspecting the /gnu/store, and similar tasks.

Cheers,
Bost