Subject: [bug#74137] [PATCH] gnu: Add emacs-vi-tilde-fringe.

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2024 17:05:29 +0100

Rostislav Svoboda <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Therefore, I suggest to keep using the commit you refer to (f1597...),
>> but mark it as version 1.0 instead of an obscure 1.0-1.f1597a8.
>
> Did you mean 1.0-0.f1597a8?

Yes.

> Many Emacs packages have arbitrary version numbers like 0.1, 1.0,
> 0.07, 0.3.0, 20241019.2151, etc., or sometimes no version at all.
> (Believe me, I’ve seen it all.) The only meaningful and reliable part
> is actually just the commit hash, like f1597a8.
>
> So, the 1.0 is already part of the version string, and the 0. is yet
> another piece of arbitrary, unreliable information added by us and our
> conventions this time.

We use revision and commits to distinguish versions from plain ones, to
say : "be careful, we didn't package the exact 1.0 release". In this
particular case, the "-0.f1597a8" suffix in the version field would
bring no valuable information: we're packaging the exact 1.0 release.

Of course, you need to refer to the commit hash in the package
definition, since upstream didn't tag its initial release. I'm
advocating for removing that information from the version field only.
We're already doing this for projects that do not tag releases. See,
e.g., `emacs-inspector'.

Regards,