Subject: 24.0.50 and 23.2.*; Cursor disappears over embedded images in recent --with-ns emacs

From: ken manheimer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:21:21 -0500

In recent emacs (23.* and 24.0) on Mac OS X snow leopard, built using
"./configure --with-ns", the text cursor disappears when it is over
embedded images.

To reproduce the problem, substitute a path to the frown.xpm on your
system in the following and evaluate it:

(insert-image
  (create-image
"/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1.90/etc/images/smilies/frown.xpm"
  'xpm))

Then move the cursor over the resulting frown smilie, and all traces of
the cursor will disappear.  The cursor will reappear if you move it off
of the frownie.

This problem occurs whatever shape I assign to cursor-type.

I've experienced this problem with checkouts built from the trunk as of
today (Nov 15, 2010) and the tag EMACS_23_2, and i also see it when
using the "Emacs for OS X Modified" downloaded from
http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/mac (23.2.50).

Perhaps a related problem: setting the foreground color of the cursor
with 'customize-face cursor' face has no effect - the foreground color
of text under the cursor is always the same as the text when it is not
covered by the cursor.  Setting the background color does what it is
supposed to do.
--
ken manheimer
http://myriadicity.net

In GNU Emacs 24.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.32)
 of 2010-11-15 on crisp
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x 4 f e m a <tab> <s-backspace> C-a C-f C-f C-k t
m p / x <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <double-down-mouse-1>
<mouse-movement> <double-drag-mouse-1> C-b C-y C-SPC
C-e C-b C-w C-f s-^ C-g C-p C-d C-d C-n <s-backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> ) C-x C-e C-b C-b C-f C-f C-x
u C-a C-n C-k C-x C-s C-x o s-x C-g M-x e m a c s -
b u <tab> <backspace> <backspace> r e <tab> C-a C-k
r e p o r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set [2 times]
Quit
t
Undo!
Saving file /Users/klm/tmp/x...
Wrote /Users/klm/tmp/x
kill-region: The mark is not set now, so there is no region
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr message rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
emacsbug tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)
[email-masked]