Subject: [bug#74112] bug#74204: [bug#74112] Guix is not reproducible

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2024 11:01:35 +0100

Hi,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Simon Tournier <[email-masked]> writes:

[...]

>> Maybe I am missing something.  To my knowledge, .go files produced by
>> Guile are not always reproducible, see bug#20272 [1].  And, from my
>> understanding, Guix cannot be reproducible until this bug had been
>> fixed.  Therefore, I am not convinced that this patch is worth under
>> this frame considering the build-time penalty it brings.
>>
>> That’s said, maybe it’s better than nothing and the package ’guix’ is
>> barely built after all.  I do not know.
>>
>> What people think?
>
> Perhaps we should set the default parallel-build? to #f in the
> guile-build-system at least in the meantime, with a prominent comment as
> to why and a reference to the upstream issue?  Many Guile packages use
> the gnu-build-system so that wouldn't cover all of them like
> 'guix'... I'm not sure.

Sounds good to me: packages using ‘guile-build-system’ are usually
relatively small so the impact is negligible.

‘guix’ is a little different because it takes so much time to build
sequentially…

Ludo’.