Subject: Re: bug#74204: [bug#74112] Guix is not reproducible

From: Simon Tournier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2024 18:54:29 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 05 Nov 2024 at 23:25, Hilton Chain via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> I can confirm the reproducibility issue.
>>
>> I have two x86_64-linux machines building guix to verify the fix, I'll apply
>> your patch once they produce matching outputs.
>
> Took me quite a while to build 5 rounds. :)
>
> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> $ guix hash --serializer=nar /gnu/store/fs7x07jfn7igpkwv3alrs9by21q70y13-guix-1.4.0-26.5ab3c4c
> 0kh87wb4qn97kwzrf4igal71cjvv143j6jr2y3dwfzcy1madj1ll
> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
> Applied #74112 as 4c56d0cccdc44e12484b26332715f54768738c5f, thanks!

Maybe I am missing something.  To my knowledge, .go files produced by
Guile are not always reproducible, see bug#20272 [1].  And, from my
understanding, Guix cannot be reproducible until this bug had been
fixed.  Therefore, I am not convinced that this patch is worth under
this frame considering the build-time penalty it brings.

That’s said, maybe it’s better than nothing and the package ’guix’ is
barely built after all.  I do not know.

What people think?

Cheers,
simon

1: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/20272