Subject: bug#74093: closed (Re: [PATCH] doc: Explicitly mention --localstatedir and --sysconfdir configure flags.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2024 22:52:02 +0000

Your bug report

#74093: [PATCH] doc: Explicitly mention --localstatedir and --sysconfdir configure flags.

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
74093: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=74093
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: Explicitly mention --localstatedir and --sysconfdir configure flags.
From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>, pelzflorian <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2024 22:51:30 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Pushed, thanks!

Subject: [PATCH] doc: Explicitly mention --localstatedir and --sysconfdir configure flags.
From: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Arun Isaac <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2024 18:50:57 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Prior to this commit, the terms localstatedir and sysconfdir were used without
being defined earlier. This commit clarifies that they are configure flags.

* doc/contributing.texi (Building from Git): Explicitly mention
--localstatedir and --sysconfdir configure flags.

Change-Id: I3e6edbbc1f2a342196e732e14257dbdf9a3f4303
---
 doc/contributing.texi | 13 +++++++------
 1 file changed, 7 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/contributing.texi b/doc/contributing.texi
index acdc303be6..d397410abe 100644
--- a/doc/contributing.texi
+++ b/doc/contributing.texi
@@ -240,12 +240,13 @@ Building from Git
 @end example
 
 @noindent
-... where @file{/var} is the normal @code{localstatedir} value
-(@pxref{The Store}, for information about this) and @file{/etc} is the
-normal @code{sysconfdir} value.  Note that you will probably not run
-@command{make install} at the end (you don't have to) but it's still
-important to pass the right @code{localstatedir} and @code{sysconfdir}
-values, which get recorded in the @code{(guix config)} Guile module.
+Optionally, @code{--localstatedir} and @code{--sysconfdir} can also be
+provided as arguments.  By default, @code{localstatedir} is @file{/var}
+(@pxref{The Store}, for information about this) and @code{sysconfdir} is
+@file{/etc}.  Note that you will probably not run @command{make install}
+at the end (you don't have to) but it's still important to pass the
+right @code{localstatedir} and @code{sysconfdir} values, which get
+recorded in the @code{(guix config)} Guile module.
 
 Finally, you can build Guix and, if you feel so inclined, run the tests
 (@pxref{Running the Test Suite}):

base-commit: a9c33e9f688fce88aed610ab04c650efb71b4ce6
-- 
2.45.2