Subject: Re: bug#74090: 31.0.50; Problems with dabbrev-expand

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2024 19:57:54 +0100

On Tue, 29 Oct 2024 20:17:18 +0200 Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> The attached patch fixes these problems, according to my tests.
>
> Maybe your patch also fixes bug#36516
> where we failed to find a solution.
> Or maybe these are separate cases.

I was unaware of that bug, thanks for the pointer.  But unfortunately,
my patch does not fix it.  My changes only affect cases where the buffer
in which dabbrev-expand is called is different from the buffer where it
finds the expected expansion (at least I only tried to fix such cases
and not alter the behavior of the same buffer cases).  I'll try taking a
closer look at this case, but judging by the discussion in that bug
thread, it doesn't look related, or easy to fix.  But as was noted in
that thread, at least you can get the expected expected by repeatedly
typing `M-/', while in the cases I tried (hopefully successfully) to
fix, without my patch either you cannot get the expected expansion or
you get an error, so bug#36516 seems less serious.

Steve Berman