Subject: 30.0.91; GNU Elpa "debbugs" package ignores gnus-posting-styles

From: Mekeor Melire <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2024 10:15:53 +0000

The "debbugs" package in GNU Elpa archive buffer-locally overrides the
gnus-posting-styles variable in debbugs-gnu-summary-mode.

Personally, I use gnus-posting-styles to configure conditions for when
which email-address should be used.  E.g. I want debbugs.el to always
use the email-address from which I'm now sending this email.  But
debbugs.el won't obey my configuration in gnus-posting-styles.

Let's take a look at the relevant code in debbugs-gnu.el:

    (define-minor-mode debbugs-gnu-summary-mode
      ...
      (set (make-local-variable gnus-posting-styles)
           ...))

(In particular, the second "..." is not an expression that involves the
global default value of gnus-posting-styles.)

Here's how I personally work around this bug:

    (defun debbugs-gnu-summary-append-default-gnus-posting-styles ()
      (when (local-variable-p 'gnus-posting-styles)
        (setq-local gnus-posting-styles
                    (append gnus-posting-styles
                            (default-value 'gnus-posting-styles)))))

    (add-hook 'debbugs-gnu-summary-mode-hook
              #'debbugs-gnu-summary-append-default-gnus-posting-styles)