Subject: Re: [bug#74058] [PATCH v3 2/2] etc: news: Warn users about postgresql default update.

From: "pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2024 12:18:00 +0100

Hello Nicolas, thank you for taking care of making PostgreSQL current.
I tried to test with `make check-system TESTS="patchwork"`, but it
fails even without your change.

Anyway.

Can you include this German translation?

>  (entry (commit "") ; fill-me based on the previous commit
>         (title (en "PostgreSQL service upgrade")

                 (de "PostgreSQL-Dienst aktualisiert")

>                (fr "Mise à jour du service PostgreSQL"))
>         (body
>          (en "\
> This news entry concerns users of the @code{postgresql-service-type}.
> 
> The default PostgreSQL used in @code{postgresql-configuration} has been
> deprecated, and will be removed in a few months.  However, the value of the
> default @code{postgresql-configuration-postgresql} can't be directly changed
> to a newer major version of PostgreSQL, because switching to a major version
> currently requires a manual update of the database.
> 
> Because of this, the default value of postgresql-configuration-postgresql has
> been set to @code{'*no*}.  Current users of the service will have to set it
> manually.  If it was unset, use @code{postgresql-10} and plan an upgrade in the
> next month to a supported version of PostgreSQL.  To upgrade, you will need to
> either dump your database using your previous version of PostgreSQL and reload
> it in the new version or use the @command{pg_upgrade} application.  See
> @url{https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html} for more
> info.")

         (de "Diese Neuigkeit betrifft Nutzer des @code{postgresql-service-type}.

Die in @code{postgresql-configuration} bisher vorgegebene Version von gilt als
veraltet und wird in ein paar Monaten entfernt werden.  Allerdings können wir
den Vorgabewert von @code{postgresql-configuration-postgresql} nicht einfach
für Sie auf eine neuere große Version ändern, weil bei so einem Wechsel die
Datenbank derzeit manuell aktualisiert werden muss.

Aus diesem Grund wurde der Vorgabewert von
@code{postgresql-configuration-postgresql} von nun an auf @code{'*no*} gesetzt.
Aktuelle Nutzer des Dienstes müssen sie selbst setzen.  Wenn kein Wert gesetzt
war, sollten Sie @code{postgresql-10} eintragen und dabei einplanen, dass Sie
es kommenden Monat auf eine unterstützte Version von PostgreSQL aktualisieren
müssen.  Zum Aktualisieren werden Sie entweder mit der vorherigen Version von
PostgreSQL ein Dump Ihrer Datenbank exportieren, das Sie dann in der neuen
Version laden, oder Sie benutzen dafür die Anwendung @command{pg_upgrade}.
Siehe @url{https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html} für weitere
Informationen.")

Furthermore, for the French version:

>          (fr "\
> Ce message concerne les utilisateurs du service-type PostgreSQL.
> 
> La précédente version par défaut de PostgreSQL utilisée dans
> @code{postgresqsl-configuration} est obsolète et sera supprimée dans quelques
> mois.  Cependant, la valeur de la configuration par défaut
> @code{postgresql-configuration-postgresql} ne peut pas être changée
> directement pour une version majeure plus récente de PostgreSQL, car le
> passage à une nouvelle version majeure nécessite actuellement une mise à jour
> manuelle de la base de données.
> 
> Pour cette raison, la valeur par défaut de
> @code{postgresql-configuration-postgresql} est maintenant @code{'*no*} et les
> utilisateurs actuels du service doivent la configurer manuellement. Si elle
> n’était pas définie, utilisez @code{postgresql-10} et prévoyez une mise à jour
> dans le mois à venir vers une version plus récente de PostgreSQL.

In the last sentence, « version plus récente » should be supported version.

> Pour
> effectuer la mise à jour, vous devrez soit exporter votre base de données sous
> une version de PostgreSQL puis la réimporter sous une nouvelle version, soit
> utiliser l'application @command{pg_upgrade}. Pour plus d'informations,
> consultez @url{https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html}.")))

Regards,
Florian