Subject: [bug#74058] [PATCH v2 2/2] etc: news: Warn users about postgresql default update.

From: Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2024 18:04:29 +0100

* etc/news.scm: Add entry.
---
 etc/news.scm | 43 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 1 file changed, 43 insertions(+)

diff --git a/etc/news.scm b/etc/news.scm
index 4929fa2a9a..1dc8e64a72 100644
--- a/etc/news.scm
+++ b/etc/news.scm
@@ -25,6 +25,7 @@
 ;; Copyright © 2024 Vivien Kraus <[email-masked]>
 ;; Copyright © 2024 Guillaume Le Vaillant <[email-masked]>
 ;; Copyright © 2024 Zheng Junjie <[email-masked]>
+;; Copyright © 2024 Nicolas Graves <[email-masked]>
 ;;
 ;; Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are
 ;; permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice and
@@ -33,6 +34,48 @@
 (channel-news
  (version 0)
 
+ (entry (commit "") ; fill-me based on the previous commit
+        (title (en "PostgreSQL service upgrade")
+               (fr "Mise à jour du service PostgreSQL"))
+        (body
+         (en "\
+This news entry concerns users of the @code{postgresql-service-type}.
+
+The default PostgreSQL used in @code{postgresql-configuration} has been
+deprecated, and will be removed in a few months.  However, the value of the
+default @code{postgresql-configuration-postgresql} can't be directly changed
+to a newer major version of PostgreSQL, because switching to a major version
+currently requires a manual update of the database.
+
+Because of this, the default value of postgresql-configuration-postgresql has
+been set to @code{*no*}.  Current users of the service will have to set it
+manually.  If it was unset, use @code{postgresql-10} and plan an upgrade in the
+next month to a supported version of PostgreSQL.  To upgrade, you will need to
+either dump your database using your previous version of PostgreSQL and reload
+it in the new version or use the @command{pg_upgrade} application.  See
+@url{https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html} for more
+info.")
+         (fr "\
+Ce message concerne les utilisateurs du service-type PostgreSQL.
+
+La précédente version par défaut de PostgreSQL utilisée dans
+@code{postgresqsl-configuration} est obsolète et sera supprimée dans quelques
+mois.  Cependant, la valeur de la configuration par défaut
+@code{postgresql-configuration-postgresql} ne peut pas être changée
+directement pour une version majeure plus récente de PostgreSQL, car le
+passage à une nouvelle version majeure nécessite actuellement une mise à jour
+manuelle de la base de données.
+
+Pour cette raison, la valeur par défaut de
+@code{postgresql-configuration-postgresql} est maintenant @code{*no*} et les
+utilisateurs actuels du service doivent la configurer manuellement. Si elle
+n’était pas définie, utilisez @code{postgresql-10} et prévoyez une mise à jour
+dans le mois à venir vers une version plus récente de PostgreSQL.  Pour
+effectuer la mise à jour, vous devrez soit exporter votre base de données sous
+une version de PostgreSQL puis la réimporter sous une nouvelle version, soit
+utiliser l'application @command{pg_upgrade}. Pour plus d'informations,
+consultez @url{https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/upgrading.html}.")))
+
  (entry (commit "5966e0fdc78771c562e0f484a22f381a77908be0")
         (title
          (en "Daemon vulnerability allowing takeover of build users fixed")
-- 
2.46.0