Subject: Re: bug#74056: `LaTeX-insert-item' inserts comment characters if called from inside comment

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2024 15:44:42 +0900

Hi Vangelis,

>>>>> Vangelis Evangelou <[email-masked]> writes:
> Hello.
> Consider the following latex snippet with the cursor position indicated by
> |:

> \begin{itemize}
> \item My 1st item %%% comment |
> \end{itemize}

> At that point call `LaTeX-insert-item' (M-RET) to get the following:

> \begin{itemize}
> \item My 1st item %%% comment
>   %%% \item |
> \end{itemize}

> while I would have expected

> \begin{itemize}
> \item My 1st item %%% comment
> \item |
> \end{itemize}

I suggest to set the customize option `LaTeX-insert-into-comments' to
nil. You will get the expected behavior then.

I'd say that the default value of t of `LaTeX-insert-into-comments' is
one of the strangest defaults of AUCTeX :-)

> I cannot think of a situation where the current version is desirable.

It seems that it will be useful in docTeX mode. But I personally agree
that it isn't in most LaTeX documents.

To developers: I propose to change the default value of
`LaTeX-insert-into-comments' to nil. What do you think about it? It is
set to t in docTeX mode anyway.

> In addition to the above, `LaTeX-insert-item' always inserts a new line
> unless the cursor is at the beginning of line:

> (unless (bolp) (LaTeX-newline))

> This is rarely the case. For example, if you enter a new line inside
> itemize, the line is indented. It would be better to replace the (bolp)
> check with a check that the line contains only whitespace characters.

I'd like to confirm your intention. It seems that you are saying that
"When I type M-RET in a line with only whitespace charactares, the \item
shoule be placeed in that line, not the line created anew below that
line." If so, I think it is a reasonable request.

Regards,
Ikumi Keita
#StandWithUkraine #StopWarInUkraine
#Gaza #StopMassiveKilling #CeasefireNOW