Subject: [Documentation BUG] Caching symmetric encryption passphrase

From: BP25 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2024 00:58:33 +0100

Hello,

I don't know how to set symmetric encryption passphrase caching when
using Gnupg 2.x . I followed unsuccessfully the instructions [1] and I
read [2] but it's very unclear what to do. I consider this a docs bug
because the EasyPG manual says "To set up GnuPG Agent, follow the
instruction in Invoking GPG-AGENT in Using the GNU Privacy Guard". This
is vague and was probably written to avoid actually explaining the
procedure! But it's dishonest because, at least I, could find no such
instructions. So either we modify the manual to say something like "To
set up GnuPG Agent, you're on your own but reading Invoking GPG-AGENT in
Using the GNU Privacy Guard might be useful", or let's put the actual
instructions on the EasyPG manual (which is obviously the ideal).

Please CC my email address because I'm not currently subscribed to this
list!

[1]
https://superuser.com/questions/1427517/how-can-i-cache-a-passphrase-for-use-in-a-script-that-uses-gpg2-symmetric-with/1485486#1485486
[2]
https://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/gpg_002dpreset_002dpassphrase.html