Subject: bug#74009: 14.0.6.2024-10-22_10:04:26; LaTeX-fill-environment does strange things when % is present

From: Uwe Brauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2024 10:31:04 +0200

Hi all

Please consider 
--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

\begin{definition}[homotopy relation on 1-simplices]\label{defn:1-simplex-htpy}
  \uses{defn:simplicial-set}
   A parallel pair of 1-sim\-plices $f,g$ in a simplicial set $X$ are \textbf{homotopic} if there exists a 2-simplex whose boundary takes either of the following forms\footnote{The symbol ``$=$'' is used in diagrams to denote a degenerate simplex or an identity arrow.}
%\footnote{The symbol ``$\!\!\!\!\!\begin{tikzcd}[ampersand replacement=\&, sep=small] ~\arrow[r, equals] \& ~ \end{tikzcd}\!\!\!\!\!$'' is used in diagrams to denote a degenerate simplex or an identity arrow.}
   \begin{center}
   \begin{tikzcd}[row sep=small, column sep=small]
   & y \arrow[dr, equals] & && &  x \arrow[dr, "f"]  \\ x \arrow[ur, "f"] \arrow[rr, "g"'] & & y & & x \arrow[ur, equals] \arrow[rr, "g"'] & & y
   \end{tikzcd}
  \end{center}
   or if $f$ and $g$ are in the same equivalence class generated by this relation.
\end{definition}
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
running LaTeX-fill-environment results in 
formatting environment 41% I have to interrupt with C-g and obtain

\begin{definition}[homotopy relation on
  1-simplices]\label{defn:1-simplex-htpy}
  \uses{defn:simplicial-set} A parallel pair of 1-sim\-plices $f,g$ in
  a simplicial set $X$ are \textbf{homotopic} if there exists a
  2-simplex whose boundary takes either of the following
  forms\footnote{The symbol ``$=$'' is used in diagrams to denote a
    degenerate simplex or an identity arrow.}
  % \footnote{The symbol
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  %
  % ``$\!\!\!\!\!\begin{tikzcd}[ampersand replacement=\&, sep=small] ~\arrow[r, equals] \& ~ \end{tikzcd}\!\!\!\!\!$'' is used in diagrams to denote a degenerate simplex or an identity arrow.}
   \begin{center}
   \begin{tikzcd}[row sep=small, column sep=small]
   & y \arrow[dr, equals] & && &  x \arrow[dr, "f"]  \\ x \arrow[ur, "f"] \arrow[rr, "g"'] & & y & & x \arrow[ur, equals] \arrow[rr, "g"'] & & y
   \end{tikzcd}
  \end{center}
   or if $f$ and $g$ are in the same equivalence class generated by this relation.
\end{definition}

It could have been much longer because I think emacs entered a infinite
loop.

Any ideas?

Regards

Uwe Brauer 

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.18.0, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2024-09-03
Package: 14.0.6.2024-10-22_10:04:26

current state:
==============
(setq
 window-system 'x
 LaTeX-version "2e"
 TeX-style-path '("/home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/auctex-git/auctex/style" "auto" "style" "/home/oub/ALLES/emacs/site-lisp/auctex-private-style")
 TeX-auto-save t
 TeX-parse-self t
 TeX-master t
 TeX-command-list '(("TeX"
                     "%(PDF)%(tex) %(file-line-error) %`%(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil
                     (plain-tex-mode texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode) :help
                     "Run plain TeX")
                    ("LaTeX" "%`%l%(mode)%' %T" TeX-run-TeX nil
                     (latex-mode doctex-mode) :help "Run LaTeX")
                    ("Makeinfo" "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) %t"
                     TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Makeinfo with Info output")
                    ("Makeinfo HTML"
                     "makeinfo %(extraopts) %(o-dir) --html %t"
                     TeX-run-compile nil (texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Makeinfo with HTML output")
                    ("AmSTeX"
                     "amstex %(PDFout) %`%(extraopts) %S%(mode)%' %(output-dir) %t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (ams-tex-mode) :help "Run AMSTeX")
                    ("ConTeXt"
                     "%(cntxcom) --once --texutil %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
                     "Run ConTeXt once")
                    ("ConTeXt Full"
                     "%(cntxcom) %(extraopts) %(execopts)%t"
                     TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help
                     "Run ConTeXt until completion")
                    ("BibTeX" "bibtex %(O?aux)" TeX-run-BibTeX nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      context-mode texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help "Run BibTeX")
                    ("Biber" "biber %(output-dir) %s" TeX-run-Biber
                     nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help "Run Biber")
                    ("Texindex" "texindex %s.??" TeX-run-command nil
                     (texinfo-mode) :help "Run Texindex")
                    ("Texi2dvi" "%(PDF)texi2dvi %t" TeX-run-command
                     nil (texinfo-mode) :help
                     "Run Texi2dvi or Texi2pdf")
                    ("View" "%V" TeX-run-discard-or-function t t :help
                     "Run Viewer")
                    ("Print" "%p" TeX-run-command t t :help
                     "Print the file")
                    ("Queue" "%q" TeX-run-background nil t :help
                     "View the printer queue" :visible
                     TeX-queue-command)
                    ("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips t
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help "Generate PostScript file")
                    ("Dvips" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-dvips nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help "Convert DVI file to PostScript")
                    ("Dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx -o %(O?pdf) %d"
                     TeX-run-dvipdfmx nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help "Convert DVI file to PDF with dvipdfmx")
                    ("Ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f %(O?pdf)" TeX-run-ps2pdf nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help "Convert PostScript file to PDF")
                    ("Glossaries" "makeglossaries %(d-dir) %s"
                     TeX-run-command nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help
                     "Run makeglossaries to create glossary file")
                    ("Index" "makeindex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help "Run makeindex to create index file")
                    ("upMendex" "upmendex %(O?idx)" TeX-run-index t
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help "Run upmendex to create index file")
                    ("Xindy" "texindy %s" TeX-run-command nil
                     (plain-tex-mode latex-mode doctex-mode
                      texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode)
                     :help "Run xindy to create index file")
                    ("Check" "lacheck %s" TeX-run-compile nil
                     (latex-mode) :help
                     "Check LaTeX file for correctness")
                    ("ChkTeX" "chktex -v6 %s" TeX-run-compile nil
                     (latex-mode) :help
                     "Check LaTeX file for common mistakes")
                    ("Spell" "(TeX-ispell-document \"\")"
                     TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Spell-check the document")
                    ("Clean" "TeX-clean" TeX-run-function nil t :help
                     "Delete generated intermediate files")
                    ("Clean All" "(TeX-clean t)" TeX-run-function nil
                     t :help
                     "Delete generated intermediate and output files")
                    ("Other" "" TeX-run-command t t :help
                     "Run an arbitrary command")
                    ("evince-new" "/usr/local/bin/evince %o"
                     TeX-run-command t t)
                    )
 )
-- 
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military. 
I support the EU and NATO membership of Ukraine.