Subject: Re: bug#73991: EditorConfig bundled with Emacs 30 does not set tab-width

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2024 11:20:58 -0400

>>> You can get the same behavior with
>>>
>>>    indent_size = tab
>>>    tab_width = 4
>>
>> The settings mean the same thing,
>
> Do they?  If so, why prefer the above formulation?

The weird thing about this insistence that indent_size == tab_width and
that exclusively TAB chars should be used for indentation, is that the
whole point of that style of indentation is that it looks correct
regardless of `tab-width`, making the `tab-width` into a user-preference
that does not need to be enforced in the coding convention (and thus
shouldn't be set by `.editorconfig`).

In clear, I think the `.editorconfig` file should say just

    indent_size = tab

and then every user would set tab-width to the value they like in their
favorite editor's personal settings.

Anyway, I pushed the last patch, combined with the previous one, to
`emacs-30`, which I believe should fix the problem you reported.

        Stefan