Subject: bug#73991: EditorConfig bundled with Emacs 30 does not set tab-width

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2024 10:37:57 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> From: Kenta USAMI <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2024 12:44:31 +0900
> 
> > You can get the same behavior with
> >
> >    indent_size = tab
> >    tab_width = 4
> 
> The settings mean the same thing, but I contribute to several projects on GitHub, so it wouldn't make sense to
> rewrite them all.

Why not?  Emacs is a major new player on this playground, so making
some minor changes for the benefit of using EditorConfig settings in
Emacs sounds justified to me.

Emacs uses tab-width in a special way, which is why we feel blindly
abiding by this setting in Emacs would be incorrect.  If a way exists
to have both Emacs and the other editors happy, why not take it to
adapt?