Subject: Re: bug#73982: GCC Dependency?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2024 10:15:56 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2024 16:07:49 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> Obviously, it isn't my place to decide how should Fedora package
> Emacs, but if they prefer to err on the side of including all, they
> should be prepared to deal with complaints such as this one, instead
> of pointing the users who complain at the upstream project, which has
> nothing to do with those decisions.

Red Hat closed their ticket (without really explaining how they
resolve the issue raised by the OP's, but that's not my problem to
solve), so I'm now closing this non-bug.

The bottom line, from my POV, is that the Emacs project provides
configure-time options to build Emacs with or without any combination
of the optional dependencies, as well as the --without-all option to
build the minimal Emacs without any optional dependencies.  Users who
download Linux distros of Emacs should understand what they are
downloading, and should take any problems with these distros to the
respective downstream teams.  If the packages provided by the distros
do not satisfy the end-user requirements, our recommendation to the
users is to build their own Emacs from the source tarballs distributed
by us and available from the GNU FTP sites worldwide; then users could
control exactly what optional dependencies are compiled into Emacs.