Subject: Re: bug#73982: GCC Dependency?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2024 16:07:49 +0300

> Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2024 13:47:32 +0100 (BST)
> From: Peter Oliver <[email-masked]>
> cc: [email-masked]
> 
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2024, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > It's how Red Hat decided to package
> > Emacs, evidently to avoid having too many different Emacs packages.
> 
> Although Red Hat sponsor the Fedora project, they do not make these kinds of decisions.  Those are made by Fedora contributors.

Sorry, I don't know who exactly makes these decisions, and who just
sponsors that.  I just know it is not the Emacs project.

> > (They also seem to provide
> > Git, Perl, and Enchant, which are not Emacs dependencies at all.)
> 
> Emacs command treesit-install-language-grammar calls git, which is why Fedora recommends it as an optional dependency.  Similarly for ispell and enchant2.

There are many Emacs commands that call external programs, but that
doesn't yet mean the Emacs package for end users should include them
all.

Obviously, it isn't my place to decide how should Fedora package
Emacs, but if they prefer to err on the side of including all, they
should be prepared to deal with complaints such as this one, instead
of pointing the users who complain at the upstream project, which has
nothing to do with those decisions.