Subject: [PATCH] doc: remove stray prose

From: Brennan Vincent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 09:46:23 -0400

* doc/contributing.texi (Building from Git): Historically, the example for
running ./configure included references to localstatedir and sysconfdir, which
the following text explained. Since now it just tells you to run ./configure,
remove this explanation.

Change-Id: I5c7236f0421cda7480f91d4cfbcd724192846bce
---
 doc/contributing.texi | 8 +-------
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 7 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/contributing.texi b/doc/contributing.texi
index acdc303be6..ce6bda068d 100644
--- a/doc/contributing.texi
+++ b/doc/contributing.texi
@@ -240,13 +240,6 @@ Building from Git
 @end example
 
 @noindent
-... where @file{/var} is the normal @code{localstatedir} value
-(@pxref{The Store}, for information about this) and @file{/etc} is the
-normal @code{sysconfdir} value.  Note that you will probably not run
-@command{make install} at the end (you don't have to) but it's still
-important to pass the right @code{localstatedir} and @code{sysconfdir}
-values, which get recorded in the @code{(guix config)} Guile module.
-
 Finally, you can build Guix and, if you feel so inclined, run the tests
 (@pxref{Running the Test Suite}):
 
@@ -256,6 +249,7 @@ Building from Git
 @end example
 
 @noindent
+Note that you don't have to run @command{make install} at the end.
 If anything fails, take a look at installation instructions
 (@pxref{Installation}) or send a message to the
 @email{guix-devel@@gnu.org, mailing list}.

base-commit: 789300000c09e6c66bf9dbb6c3fec9632225d51a
prerequisite-patch-id: 190cf537d5350c96a329fe3baf0742cf187308bf
prerequisite-patch-id: 5450d7b82e5c1160c9663f21bad4644b51f3ca69
prerequisite-patch-id: c8abc68123e4f2c8fcfa1f2552de097f310b149c
prerequisite-patch-id: 47c71d891341ebe65d323b0ecee5e83e99aeb160
prerequisite-patch-id: e7892ac4a66728ede854ff4cd181795012780236
prerequisite-patch-id: 876cfbf9ae3cfda17809f8deb5f86aba523b0015
prerequisite-patch-id: ade24719ac6b2d1f6aab3b6559cdcc76986455cc
prerequisite-patch-id: cc25e930146f5169b2a455cafe00a2098b881cca
prerequisite-patch-id: de4804fdcb797484990fcb9028884b74d9e81906
prerequisite-patch-id: e3a8892e61c618e1d3920cf988d88554092dd8a8
prerequisite-patch-id: 0cbf33cadd71520efa7cf74cdf2a652a1d480276
prerequisite-patch-id: 82c2dd4e1bd68c72a187b05b7c6364abfd626cdf
prerequisite-patch-id: 149f45f15824dfa9984c8294b8baebef349fa58d
prerequisite-patch-id: 48ce03bfba28768acd87c048d966cd9d1050260f
prerequisite-patch-id: f3fe01a9a135cfa2751df764a052e408e3f45cc5
prerequisite-patch-id: dd095809ae04cdf1ccdff4189501aefc53cba4d3
prerequisite-patch-id: f243111015e1019561d647f176b39b152c98695c
prerequisite-patch-id: 436d246d14ef35e74389cd2475b5b32287da9bf5
prerequisite-patch-id: d575cba18d32854e8e7f899636b9979d60c8c3bf
prerequisite-patch-id: a124f8bcc2be227f69063ce47a677338643b82e6
prerequisite-patch-id: dbacaa6b0d414ce916d4bbf0b7f59e9edb48729f
prerequisite-patch-id: 5136939d4c2c40ded1ded86241136775a8ce9183
-- 
2.46.0