Subject: Attempt to modify read-only object error

From: Rajinder Yadav <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 23:04:19 -0500

I got the following error, "Attempt to modify read-only object error" 
after trying to re-load a file that was modified by an external process!

I am unable to kill the buffer, reload using c-x c-v and also kill 
emacs. It keep saying this error and I don't know how to make it go away.

-- 
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav | DevMentor.org | Do Good! ~ Share Freely

GNU/Linux: 2.6.35-22-generic
Kubuntu x86_64 10.10 | KDE 4.5.1
Ruby 1.9.2p0 | Rails 3.0.1

In GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.22.0)
  of 2010-11-11 on Six9
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10900000
Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Ruby

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   ecb-minor-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
d e v i s e SPC m o d e l SPC U s e r <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> U s e r <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x b r o <return> C-x C-v
<return> C-x t <home> <C-home> <C-end> <prior> <prior>
<prior> <C-home> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<C-home> <down> <end> <return> y C-_ C-x v C-g C-g
C-x C-v r o \ <return> <backspace> <return> <C-delete>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <C-delete>
C-g <C-delete> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo>
<tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> d d y <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> y <C-delete>
y <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5> <double-mouse-5>
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5>
<triple-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5>
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4>
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <C-delete> y C-SPC <C-delete>
y C-x C-v r o u <return> n y <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <down-mouse-4> <mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4>
<double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <down-mouse-3>
<mouse-3> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<down-mouse-3> <mouse-3> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <help-echo> <down-mouse-4>
<mouse-4> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <C-home>
<C-end> <C-home> <down-mouse-5> <mouse-5> <double-down-mouse-5>
<double-mouse-5> <triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5>
<triple-down-mouse-5> <triple-mouse-5> <down-mouse-4>
<mouse-4> <double-down-mouse-4> <double-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
<triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4>
<triple-mouse-4> <triple-down-mouse-4> <triple-mouse-4>
C-x b C-g C-x C-b <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <mouse-1> <mouse-1> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-2> <C-delete> C-x
C-v C-g C-x C-b <C-delete> C-x 0 <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1>
<C-delete> <return> <C-delete> y <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <tool-bar> <kill-buffer> C-_ <help-echo>
<tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <tool-bar> <kill-buffer> <tool-bar>
<kill-buffer> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <C-delete> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Undo!
progn: Attempt to modify read-only object [3 times]
(No files need saving)
Saving file /home/yadav/.ido.last...
Wrote /home/yadav/.ido.last
progn: Attempt to modify read-only object
(No files need saving)
Saving file /home/yadav/.ido.last...
Wrote /home/yadav/.ido.last
progn: Attempt to modify read-only object
progn: Attempt to modify read-only object

Load-path shadows:
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/ezimage hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/ezimage
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/speedbar/dframe hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/dframe
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/speedbar/speedbar hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/speedbar
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/speedbar/sb-image hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/sb-image
~/.emacs.d/misc/ruby-mode hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/progmodes/ruby-mode
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-opt hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-opt
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-base hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-base
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-comp hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-comp
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/chart hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/chart
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-datadebug hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-datadebug
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-speedbar hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-speedbar
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/eieio/eieio-custom hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/emacs-lisp/eieio-custom
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/ede/ede hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/ede
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet-global hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet-global
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet-idutils hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet-idutils
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/pulse hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/pulse
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet-files hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet-files
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/mode-local hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/mode-local
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/data-debug hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/data-debug
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/semantic/semantic hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/semantic
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/srecode/srecode hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/srecode
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/inversion hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/inversion
/home/yadav/.emacs.d/cedet-1.0/common/cedet-cscope hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/23.2/lisp/cedet/cedet-cscope

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils
mailheader canlock sha1 hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug
semantic-tag-file semantic-tag-write semanticdb-typecache
semantic-tag-ls semantic-decorate-mode semantic-decorate pulse
semanticdb-file cedet-files semantic-html flyspell ispell sgml-mode
novice newcomment eieio-opt help-mode view inflections core-ext
multi-isearch tramp-imap tramp-gw tramp-fish tramp-smb tramp-cache
tramp-ftp tramp-cmds tramp auth-source gnus-util netrc time-date shell
password-cache format-spec tramp-compat trampver vc-git vc vc-dispatcher
term disp-table ehelp electric rails-lib list-ext files-ext string-ext
semantic-find cus-edit cus-start cus-load ede-linux ede-emacs
ede-cpp-root ede-dired dired semantic-el semantic-bovine bovine-debug
semantic-debug ecb-layout-defs smarttabs rails-autoload ido ecb
ecb-symboldef ecb-analyse ecb-compatibility ecb-winman-support
ecb-autogen autoload ecb-tod ecb-cycle ecb-eshell ecb-help ecb-jde
ecb-method-browser hideshow ecb-file-browser ecb-layout compile comint
ecb-create-layout edmacro kmacro ecb-compilation ecb-speedbar
ecb-common-browser ecb-cedet-wrapper semanticdb-find semanticdb-ref
ecb-navigate ecb-mode-line ecb-face tree-buffer ecb-upgrade ecb-util
thingatpt silentcomp ruby-electric easy-mmode srecode-mode cogre-srecode
semantic-edit srecode-template-mode srecode-template srecode-template-wy
semantic-wisent wisent srecode-map srecode-insert srecode-args
srecode-dictionary srecode-find srecode-ctxt srecode-compile
srecode-table semantic-mru-bookmark semanticdb-mode semantic-idle eldoc
senator ring warnings which-func semantic-imenu semantic-sb imenu cedet
cedet-contrib-load contrib-loaddefs cogre-load cogre-loaddefs
speedbar-load speedbar-loaddefs ede-load ede-loaddefs ede-speedbar
ede-files ede ede-base ede-auto eieio-speedbar semantic-ia-sb
semantic-analyze semantic-scope semantic-analyze-fcn semantic-sort
semanticdb-el semanticdb semantic-ctxt semantic-format
semantic-util-modes semantic-util semantic semantic-lex semantic-tag
working fame speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe easymenu assoc
eieio-custom wid-edit ede-source eieio-base srecode-load srecode
srecode-loaddefs semantic-load semantic-fw semantic-loaddefs mode-local
find-func derived eieio-load eieio-loaddefs cedet-load cedet-compat
cedet-loaddefs eieio advice help-fns advice-preload byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile inversion ruby-mode cl cl-19 regexp-opt tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd
fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)