Subject: bug#73954: 30.0.91; Don't hard-couple `dired-hide-details-hide-absolute-location' with `dired-hide-details-mode'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2024 21:49:28 +0300

severity 73954 wishlist
thanks

> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2024 18:34:25 +0000
> From:  Drew Adams via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Starting with Emacs 30 Dired directory header lines apparently show
> relative names when `dired-hide-details-mode' is on, if option
> `dired-hide-details-hide-absolute-location' is non-nil.
> 
> (The only Windows v30 pretest snapshot I found doesn't have this option,
> so I'm going only by the description from bug #72272.)

You are not seeing it in Emacs 30 for a good reason: it was added for
Emacs 31.

> The behavior of being able to show only a relative name is a good one,
> but it shouldn't be hard-coupled with `dired-hide-details-mode'.  Users
> should be able to choose:

"Should" why? so we have yet another hard-to-remember and never-used
combination of options?

We just added this feature to the development branch.  Let's first
collect some experience with it and see if it is popular enough to
extend it in any way.  At this point, it is as possible that the only
person to use it is the person who contributed it as it is possible
that it will be the hottest new Emacs feature, so let's wait and see
which is it.