Subject: 29.4; Compilation error in magit-autorevert

From: Sean Devlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2024 11:28:16 -0400

Hi folks,

There is a compilation error installing magit from ELPA. Recipe:

1. mkdir /tmp/emacs-test
2. HOME=/tmp/emacs-test emacs
3. M-x package-install RET magit RET

Observe the following line in the compilation log:

magit-autorevert.el:25:2: Error: Cannot open load file: No such file or
directory, magit-git

Thanks!

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, aarch64-apple-darwin21.6.0, NS
appkit-2113.60 Version 12.6.6 (Build 21G646)) of 2024-08-02 built on
armbob.lan
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2566
System Description:  macOS 15.0.1

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-DFD_SETSIZE=10000
-DDARWIN_UNLIMITED_SELECT' --with-x-toolkit=no'

Configured features:
ACL GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER
PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/tmp/emacs-test/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-4.1.1/magit-autorevert hides /tmp/emacs-test/.emacs.d/elpa/magit-section-4.1.1/magit-autorevert
/tmp/emacs-test/.emacs.d/elpa/transient-0.7.7/transient hides /Volumes/Emacs/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind
ediff-diff ediff-help ediff-init ediff-util let-alist magit-bookmark
bookmark magit-submodule magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog
magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote
magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag
magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status
magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log magit-diff smerge-mode
diff git-commit magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert filenotify
magit-margin magit-transient magit-process with-editor log-edit
pcvs-util add-log magit-mode transient cl-extra magit-git files-x
magit-base which-func imenu vc-git diff-mode vc-dispatcher magit-section
crm magit-autoloads benchmark cursor-sensor magit-section-autoloads
warnings dash rx bug-reference dash-autoloads format-spec edmacro kmacro
transient-autoloads pcase shell pcomplete server compat
with-editor-autoloads easy-mmode compat-30 ert-x ert ewoc debug
backtrace help-mode find-func compat-macs compile comint ansi-osc
ansi-color ring info compat-autoloads loaddefs-gen lisp-mnt radix-tree
tar-mode arc-mode archive-mode cus-edit pp cus-start cus-load icons
wid-edit mm-archive message sendmail yank-media dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-utils gnutls network-stream url-cache url-http
url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny epg-config finder-inf package browse-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
generate-lisp-file url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs password-cache json subr-x
map byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile url-vars cl-loaddefs cl-lib rmc
iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 338583 39168)
(symbols 48 34480 1)
(strings 32 131958 4566)
(string-bytes 1 3509294)
(vectors 16 41085)
(vector-slots 8 872746 40503)
(floats 8 99 285)
(intervals 56 821 0)
(buffers 984 19))