Subject: Re: [bug#73930] [PATCH] gnu: git-repo: Update to 2.29.7

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2025 09:17:57 +0900

Hi,

Doğan Çeçen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi Maxim,
>
> Thanks for looking into this.
>
>> This looks too simple to be true, given the complex patching going on in
>> phases (in retrospect this should have been done via a real patch to
>> avoid silent breakage like is probably happening here).
>
> Sorry, I am not following. What do you mean by the complex patching
> going on in phases and the silent breakage?

I meant the do-not-self-update phase, which I had painstakingly devised
to avoid the tool from self-updating its version at runtime ;-).

>> The idea of the patch was to ensure 'git-repo' wouldn't update itself
>> when run, as that defeats the immutable principle of Guix packages.
>
>>>From what I can tell, it doesn't do that. Or, at least, it reports
> repeatedly the same version when I run `repo --version`, and it says
> the version I upgraded to, 2.29.7. And, I was able to use the tool
> successfully after the upgrade.

Great.  So either the do-not-self-update substitutions still worked, or
the tool didn't have a newer version to update to.  To make sure, we
could run tcpdump or strace to see if it's calling home.

But that won't be necessary; apparently there's a new
REPO_SKIP_SELF_UPDATE environment variable we set to ensure that, and
someone submitted an update to 2.54 utilising it.  See commit
6c1cc9e360.

Closing.

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim