Subject: bug#73928: Bug#1080330: coreutils: who no longer works

From: Thorsten Kukuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2025 10:28:36 +0100

On Mon, Feb 17, 2025 at 10:08 AM Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Even if it's that simple, something is updating the traditional
> /var/run/utmp and /var/log/wtmp files on Fedora and Ubuntu and at least
> in some cases they work better than systemd does and this should be
> fixed somehow.

Applications are doing that via glibc. But this will go away with
glibc 2.42, when this functions don't do anything anymore.
And this will not happen if distributions don't create /run/utmp on
boot. glibc only writes to this files if they exist, it will not
create them.

Thorsten

-- 
Thorsten Kukuk, Distinguished Engineer, Senior Architect, Future Technologies
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Frankenstraße 146, 90461
Nuernberg, Germany
Managing Director: Ivo Totev, Andrew McDonald, Werner Knoblich (HRB
36809, AG Nürnberg)