Subject: Re: bug#73898: MPV should not propagate all inputs

From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2024 21:52:39 +0900

Hi Antero,

Antero Mejr <[email-masked]> writes:

> Currently, MPV propagates most of its inputs, which is not correct.
>
> When MPV tries to propagate a different version of a dependency (like
> ffmpeg) that is a different version what is currently installed, Guix
> operations will fail.
>
> The source code in video.scm says that the inputs are propagated so
> pkg-config will work, but that is not a valid reason. The pkg-config
> file should be patched so that pkg-config will work without unnecessary
> propagated-inputs.

Maybe we could have a mpv package that doesn't propagate anything, and a libmpv
that does, if there are any users (other packages) of mpv as a library?

-- 
Thanks,
Maxim