Subject: RE: bug#7387: 23.2; Emacs port to HP-UX ia64

From: "Maguire, Andrew (GE Energy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 14:29:39 +0100

Yes I am using unexelf.c

I agree that changing the compiler should not be important, although it
is in the bit of code that atempts to rewrite an ELF binary!!!

I am attempting to down the dev code. Will take a while as I have to
learn to use Bazaar.
I am downloading emacs-23.2 directory by mistake, but will let that
finish and download the latest "trunk".
I cannot spend long on this unfortunately, but will see what I can
report back.

I downloaded the source of the HP managed port which appeared to also
have an Itanium binary for 22.3 from
	http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Editors/emacs-22.3/
I then compared that with the source tree from GNU.
There were a few changes but the configure program had been modified
with 
an "if HP-UX" block of code right near the start of the script. As I
said,
it looked a bit of a hack. 
Upshot was I managed to get as far as I described below after
integrating the few changes the above appeared to have.

I also did a google search and found an patch for HPUX and 23.2 by Peter
O'Gorman.
I have applied that.

Will get back if I get anywhere.
Thanks
Andrew
	
-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Nicolaescu [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 13 November 2010 05:45
To: Maguire, Andrew (GE Energy)
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: bug#7387: 23.2; Emacs port to HP-UX ia64

"Maguire, Andrew (GE Energy)" <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have been attempting a port to Itanium HP-UX 11.23.
> I have managed to change the configure etc. to successfully produce a
> seemingly
> valid bootstrap-emacs executable.
> However, when it runs it immediately returns the error:
>
> 	emacs: Invalid function: run-hooks
>
> This at a guess implies it is running the low level C functions but
> appears to be
> failing to find the Lisp function binding.
> If anyone has any clues as to what could be wrong or things to try 
> or where to look in the initialisation sequence please let me know.
> The gdb environment on the machine unfortunately does not appear
usable
> at present, returning the unhelpful error:
> 	Error trying to get information from the dynamic linker.

Did you use unexelf.c for dumping?  

> I am also using gcc 4.3.3. I know that there is a port done by HP for
> ia64 for version 22.3
> but its configure program appeared to have been hacked to use HP's cc
> compiler not gcc.

What kind of hacks?  Changing the compiler should not be very important.

Can you please try the trunk?  There have been some fixes for HPUX
specific problems.