Subject: bug#73865: cp 9.1+ fails to overwrite existing files even with -f under Cygwin

From: Brian Inglis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2024 10:47:02 -0600

Hi folks,

Versions of coreutils cp from 9.1-9.5 have been failing with error message:

	"cp: cannot create regular file '/tmp/b/c': File exists"

to overwrite existing files even with -f under Cygwin.

I have been trying to run down how and where cp is missing a check that the file 
exists by tracing and with gdb without anything obvious grabbing my attention 
and raising suspicions.

Any advice for changing my approach, or where specifically to concentrate, could 
be helpful in progressing a new release.

A couple of Cygwin specific patches have been applied over many releases with 
rebases to root inode handling and allowing case insensitivity that do not 
appear to have had any other effect on the flow or operations.

-- 
Take care. Thanks, Brian Inglis              Calgary, Alberta, Canada

La perfection est atteinte                   Perfection is achieved
non pas lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à ajouter  not when there is no more to add
mais lorsqu'il n'y a plus rien à retirer     but when there is no more to cut
                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry