Subject: Re: bug#73863: 30.0.91; Unexpected cursor movement with flymake-show-diagnostics-at-end-of-line

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2024 19:30:31 +0300

> From: João Távora <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2024 16:39:02 +0100
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], 
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2024 at 4:31 PM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > So it's a difficult situation.  Was displaying the diagnostic in a
> > tooltip ever considered as the alternative to this past-EOL display?
> 
> No, not as a viable alternative since it doesn't work in non-GUI emacs
> afaik.  i was really trying to emulate what I think is originally a neovim
> feature (that seems to work exactly like a tooltip but in text mode).

The advantage of a tooltip is that its width is not limited by the
window.  If neovim shows this in text mode, how does it deal with
too-long diagnostics?

Another alternative is to display the diagnostic as buffer text, but
make it read-only.  This should solve the cursor-movement issues, I
think.  Do you see any obstacles for this alternative?