Subject: Re: bug#73862: [PATCH] Add `header-line-active` and `header-line-inactive` faces.

From: Aaron Jensen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2024 07:28:33 -0600

On Sat, Dec 07, 2024 at 1:50 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If we do prefer to support remapping mode-line and header-line faces, then
> I can suggest the semi-kludgey "fix" below. Is this better than what we
> have now?
>

Does this patch make it so that remaps are considered for header-line even
if header-line-active no longer inherits from header-line? If so, I'd
consider that even more surprising. The more I think about this, the less
inclined I'd be to play special case whack-a-mole with it and the more I'd
be inclined to either "live with it" or figure out a way to disable
remapping entirely in certain rendering contexts. Tab bar mode is another
one that comes to mind that probably shouldn't use remaps at all when
rendering. We could treat the computing of basic faces similarly… aside
from the initial remap of *-inactive/active, remapping would stop being
considered. If that's not feasible, then I don't see this proposed patch as
better. Users have already made do with the header-line transition in 29 it
sounds like.

Thanks,