Subject: bug#73854: closed (Re: bug#73854: 29.4; tex-mode: unexpected and inconsistent behaviour of `tex-compile`, `tex-file`, and `tex-view`)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2024 09:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#73854: 29.4; tex-mode: unexpected and inconsistent behaviour of `tex-compile`, `tex-file`, and `tex-view`

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
73854: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=73854
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#73854: 29.4; tex-mode: unexpected and inconsistent behaviour of `tex-compile`, `tex-file`, and `tex-view`
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2024 11:04:12 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 14:59:27 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> > Ok.  Should the OP confirm the fix before we close the bug?
> 
> Yeah, let's wait for a while.

No further comments within 2 weeks, so I'm now closing this bug.

Subject: 29.4; tex-mode: unexpected and inconsistent behaviour of `tex-compile`, `tex-file`, and `tex-view`
From: Thalis Charakas <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2024 18:36:19 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Basically, `tex-view` works, opening Evince, on a compiled .pdf only
after a .dvi is created.

Running 'emacs -Q' I evaluate the following in the scratch buffer, to
make it so that latex is compiled to pdf:
```
(setq tex-print-file-extension ".pdf"
      tex-dvi-view-command "evince"
      tex-dvi-print-command "lpr")
```
the last two lines are following the instructions on the description of
`tex-print-file-extension`.

I navigate to a simple .tex in an empty directory and press `C-c C-c`
which is bound by default to `tex-compile`, I press enter, as the
default is `pdflatex`, and the file compiles, creating a .pdf in the
directory. After that I press `C-c C-v`, which is bound to `tex-view`
but Evince does not open, instead I get the message "tex-print: No
appropriate ‘.dvi’ file could be found. If I press `C-c C-f`
(`tex-file`) after that, a .dvi file is created, and now `tex-view`
works, meaning it opens the .pdf with Evince.

The fact that `tex-view` works on the .pdf only when a .dvi is first
created seems like a bug.

In GNU Emacs 29.4 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.38,
 cairo version 1.16.0) of 2024-07-22, modified by Debian built on
 x86-ubc-01
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12201009
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/libexec
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-libsystemd --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/29.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --without-gconf --with-mailutils
 --with-native-compilation --with-cairo --with-x=yes
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -ffile-prefix-map=/build/reproducible-path/emacs-29.4+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3
THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS TREE_SITTER WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XINPUT2
XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: el_GR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: el_GR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: el_GR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media puny dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg rfc6068
epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils sh-script smie treesit executable files-x
format-spec tex-mode compile text-property-search shell pcomplete comint
ansi-osc ansi-color ring latexenc time-date cl-loaddefs comp comp-cstr
warnings icons subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs gv cl-extra help-mode bytecomp
byte-compile cl-lib rmc iso-transl tooltip cconv eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer nadvice seq simple cl-generic
indonesian philippine cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help abbrev obarray oclosure cl-preloaded button loaddefs
theme-loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 104929 9925)
 (symbols 48 8831 0)
 (strings 32 26957 1346)
 (string-bytes 1 823130)
 (vectors 16 18588)
 (vector-slots 8 380866 9613)
 (floats 8 55 42)
 (intervals 56 359 0)
 (buffers 984 14))