Subject: bug#73854: 29.4; tex-mode: unexpected and inconsistent behaviour of `tex-compile`, `tex-file`, and `tex-view`

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2024 09:22:55 -0400

> Indeed, with a suitable entry for viewing a PDF, typing `C-c C-c' twice
> does the job.  In my case, however, a suitable entry is not evince,
> since I don't have that program installed here, but I do have mupdf and
> with an entry for it, `C-c C-c' calls it and the PDF is displayed.  So
> this raises the question of whether tex-compile-commands should be
> enhanced with all known free software PDF viewers, or, more
> maintainer-friendly, turned into a defcustom, so users can just added
> their preferred entries.

That's a problem, indeed, and I'm not sure how best to address it.
Just making it a `defcustom` might be OK, but the UI would be a bit
complex for the users who just want to add their favorite PDF viewer.

> But that's a complementary issue to the present bug report,

Agreed, sorry.

> So should I just go ahead and install my patch?

Yes, please.

> And if so, to master or to emacs-30 (which has the same issue)?

OT1H, it looks safe to me, but OTOH it's a long standing issue so
there's no hurry either.  Eli?

        Stefan