Subject: bug#73853: 31.0.50; Should and-let* become a synonym for when-let*?

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2024 21:10:22 +0800

Hello,

On Sun 27 Oct 2024 at 01:28pm +01, Michael Heerdegen wrote:

> Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I'm not impatient, other people are. Blaming (for example) Tramp for
>> the compilation warnings in master.
>
> If you are not impatient: please explain why you are sure that this will
> not pop up in, say 18 months, again.  Or why it is better to handle this
> corner issue in 7 steps spread over an quarter of a century.
>
> Sorry for the sarcasm, but I miss the weighing up in what you say.  Only
> pointing to annoyances counts but doesn't convince me that one solution
> is better than the other.

I don't think this is going to come up again -- or, at least, if someone
brings it up, it will not require us to take any action, except possibly
documentation improvements.

I admire your desire to Do It Right, but the Right Thing does not exist
in a vacuum -- in particular, it is constrained by what was done before.

The right thing here is not to try to reuse these names, because of the
particular way in which they were used before.

-- 
Sean Whitton