Subject: bug#73853: 31.0.50; Should and-let* become a synonym for when-let*?

From: Sean Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2024 22:47:24 +0800

retitle 73853 Should and-let* become a synonym for when-let*?
thanks

Hello,

On Sun 20 Oct 2024 at 05:24am -07, Stefan Kangas wrote:

> Sean Whitton <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I would like us to move forward with removing the non-star ones.
>
> I also agree that removing them would make sense.

I've found the old discussion on this:

    - https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=60758#58
    - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-03/msg00052.html
    - https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-03/msg00219.html

Based on my reading of this thread and those old discussions, I conclude

- it is fine to mark when-let and if-let as obsolete for Emacs 31, and
  generally there's more of a consensus, and several good reasons, to do
  that instead of removing if-let* and when-let*

  - I'd like to go ahead and install a patch marking when-let and if-let
    as obsolete, unless Michael is keen to be the one to do it as the
    initiator of the previous effort

- enough people want to keep and-let*, but possibly some aspects of its
  syntax should be removed

  - I'm retitling the bug to reflect that.

-- 
Sean Whitton