Subject: [bug#73842] [PATCH v5 2/3] pack: Add support for AppImage pack format.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2024 13:05:15 +0100

Hi,

(+Cc: issue.)

Noé Lopez <[email-masked]> skribis:

> This is an expected error from the AppImage runtime, as said in the
> output the runtime depends on FUSE 3 to mount the AppImage.
>
> The AppImage can still be ran using --appimage-extract-and-run, which I
> believe we noted in the documentation:
>
>>The runtime used by AppImages makes use of libfuse to mount the image
>>quickly.  If libfuse is not available, the AppImage can still be started
>>using the @option{--appimage-extract-and-run} flag.

Oh right.  Perhaps we can tweak it to explicitly mention that
‘fusermount3’ must be in $PATH (as opposed to referring to “libfuse”).
WDYT?

(If you prefer I can make this change and push the whole thing; it’s
just a fine point.)

> As for things that can be done from our side, we could change runtime to
> one that uses other technologies just like supported by “-RR”.

Yup.  The two techniques are definitely close to one another!

> I’m pretty sure a process attached with ptrace can’t exec SUID programs,
> for security reasons (ptrace allows you to change the code of the
> attached program so its a privilege escalation).

Yes, that makes sense.

Thank you!

Ludo’.