Subject: [bug#73842] [PATCH v2 2/3] pack: Add support for AppImage pack format.

From: Noé Lopez <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2024 16:22:17 +0100

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Instead of a warning, could we just make it always -RR by default and
> document that these are always relocatable, by design?  The no
> relocatable flags would be treated as an implicit -RR, and otherwise a
> single -R would be treated as a single -R (and -RR as -RR, eh).

I think it would be confusing to have default options change between
pack formats, additionaly I’m not sure the -RR option has any effect
compared to -R as we already use a runtime that requires fuse.

The command will output a warning when the -R option is not used though:
« guix pack: warning: AppImages should be built with the --relocatable
flag »

> Are there plans to add support for .DirIcon in the future?

It was originally planned but with the added complexity it was kept for
a later version.  Notably, you need a full XDG icon structure inside
your AppImage for the specification, that means multiple resolutions of
your image and other icon stuff I don’t know about.  It’s worth retrying
though, as a single 256x256 png might work.

> The rest looks good to me, from a quick read.  If you could send a v3,
> I'll then give it a real try.

I’ve applied the rest of your suggestions, sending the v3 just after
this.

Thanks for reviewing,
Noé