Subject: bug#73831: dvilualatex binary nowhere to be found

From: Justin Veilleux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2024 22:59:44 -0400

Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Justin Veilleux via Bug reports for GNU Guix <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Hello. I noticed that the dvilualatex binary isn't in the big texlive
>> package. Is it contained in some other latex package not present in
>> texlive? I grepped the guix source code and found a mention of
>> dvilualatex in the `#:create-formats` arguments of the
>> `texlive-latex-bin`, so I suppose it must be somewhere. Am I missing
>> something?
>
> No, it's an omission in both the modular and the monolitic texlive
> package. "dvilualatex" executable should be a symlink to "luatex", but
> that symlink is not created in `texlive-latex-bin'.
>
> I'll create it in the next tex-team branch update. Meanwhile, you can
> force dvilualatex format with "luatex &dvilualatex".
>
> Regards,

Hello. I created and installed a dummy package that adds a symlink to
lualatex named dvilualatex in /bin. My use case for dvilualatex is
mostly to render latex previews in org mode, and when I run the command,
I get the following log:

> RUNNING: dvilualatex -interaction nonstopmode -output-directory /tmp/ /home/terramorpha/org-roam/org-tex-Vmk6rv.tex
> 
> kpathsea: Running mktexfmt dvilualatex.fmt
> Can't locate TeXLive/TLUtils.pm in @INC (you may need to install the TeXLive::TLUtils module) (@INC contains: /gnu/store/19jbgv16cxxqkxyinfs5n24zhmms0hns-texlivetexmf-20240312/share/tlpkg /gnu/store/19jbgv16cxxqkxyinfs5n24zhmms0hns-texlivetexmf-20240312/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive /gnu/store/v6bivyjbg6bj07s8iqfzdm6hpvypc0p1-perl-5.36.0/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.36.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /gnu/store/v6bivyjbg6bj07s8iqfzdm6hpvypc0p1-perl-5.36.0/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.36.0 /gnu/store/v6bivyjbg6bj07s8iqfzdm6hpvypc0p1-perl-5.36.0/lib/perl5/5.36.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /gnu/store/v6bivyjbg6bj07s8iqfzdm6hpvypc0p1-perl-5.36.0/lib/perl5/5.36.0) at /gnu/store/9i60rnxf82i77nhcm161i018cpxjjd9x-texlivebin-20240312/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/fmtutil.pl line 45.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /gnu/store/9i60rnxf82i77nhcm161i018cpxjjd9x-texlivebin-20240312/share/texmf-dist/scripts/texlive/fmtutil.pl line 45.
> This is LuaHBTeX, Version 1.18.0 (TeX Live 2024/GNU Guix) 
>  restricted system commands enabled.
> I can't find the format file `dvilualatex.fmt'!

Could I fix this by setting some environment variable? the file seems to
be present in texlive-latex-bin

Cheers.